Translate

Friday, July 24, 2015

Xoi Gac- Baby Jackfruit Sticky Rice



Recently I've been on a kick with trying to recreate my favourite foods from a Vietnamese eatery in my local Chinatown. Of course, I'm limited to those things that can easily be made vegetarian, so mostly I go with the various types of che (sort of like porridge/pudding that can be breakfast, a snack, or a dessert) or the starchy sides that would normally be served with something else. I never thought to try making xoi gac until I encountered the baby jackfruit paste used to colour and flavour it in the freezer section of a Chinese supermarket. I found that it's actually incredibly easy to make at home, provided that you soak the rice ahead of time. 



I didn't exactly serve it the right way, because I used peanuts instead of coconut or ham, then also some toasted sesame seeds in another batch- but I like the contrast of the crunchy nutty taste with the soft and chewy rice. An additional sprinkle of sugar and pinch of salt also were very tasty.

If you want a more vivid red colour, you can always use food colouring, but I think that the natural pigment from the jackfruit is enough. You can also remove the jackfruit seeds, but I kept them in. Whether to eat it warm or cold is a manner of taste, but I like both. My siblings, who favour the dish, gave it their seal of approval. Try it!

Xoi Gac
Recipe from The Viet Vegan

1 C. Sticky rice

85 g. Baby jackfruit Paste
1-2 TBSP Sugar
1 TBSP Coconut oil
1/4 Tsp. Salt
Soya ham or shredded coconut, to serve (I used peanuts/sesame seeds+sugar+salt)

Soak rice in water overnight. Drain and mix with the baby jackfruit paste. Spread evenly in a steamer and steam for about 20 minutes, intermittedly stirring up the bottom layer so it cooks evenly.


Add the oil, sugar and salt, mixing it in thoroughly. Steam for another 5 minutes. If desired, grease a small mold with coconut oil and stuff with the rice. Unmold onto a serving dish.



No comments:

Post a Comment