Translate

Friday, June 19, 2015

Southern Corn Cakes



Certain foods speak to you, you know? There's a kind of message you get from it just by tasting it. If this dish could speak, it would probably scream "IT'S FINALLY, FINALLY SUMMER IN CANADA! GET YOUR ARSE OUTSIDE AND ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN!"

Because sweetcorn is one of the great harbingers of warm weather. And while fritters and fried foods might usually be more suited for cold weather, these are packed with fresh, bright flavours that really do taste like summer. I modified this recipe quite a bit to suit what I had in the fridge, and added some red bell pepper bits and paprika for additional colour.


I myself was shocked at how good these were. Really, really, really good. These are the dangerous kinds of cakes I could easily eat all by myself, condemning my family to find their own dinner. But I didn't, obviously (mostly because I enjoy the deluge of compliments I get when I make something really good). If you have an abundance of fresh corn, this is a good way to highlight their raw flavour with just a bit of roasted goodness- they still taste fresh at the end. 

I served these with a bit of soy chorizo, creme frâiche, the spicy cilantro pesto I made yesterday, and some cherry tomatoes and lime wedges. As far as I'm concerned, those are the ideal condiments, each of the ingredients complimenting one another with spice, creaminess and zest. They'd also taste good with regular sour cream, salsa, crumbled feta, or whatever you have on hand to brighten them up. 

Southern Corn Cakes
From The Backyard Lemon Tree

3 Ears of corn, husked and desilked
1/2 C. Masa harina, or cornmeal
1/4 C. All purpose flour
3/4 C. breadcrumbs
1/4 C. Cilantro, chives, or a mixture
1 Tsp. Baking powder
1/2 Tsp. Baking soda
3 Eggs 
4 TBSP Buttermilk, or thinned down sour cream (my last-minute substitution, as I had no buttermilk!)
2 TBSP Olive oil
1 Tsp. Smoked paprika
1/4 Red bell pepper, diced finely (optional but very recommended) 
1/4 C. Shallots or red onions, diced finely
2 Cloves of garlic, minced
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Oil, to fry

Cut the kernels off the corn cobs with a sharp knife. Mix with the shallots, garlic, pepper and herbs. Set aside. 

Separately, whisk together the breadcrumbs, flour, masa harina, salt and pepper, baking soda, baking powder and paprika.

Beat together the eggs, buttermilk, and oil. Add the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated with a wooden spoon. Add the corn and vegetables. Mix well to form a firm, pasty batter.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add some oil. Fry the corn cakes about two minutes, then flip with a spatula and cook another two minutes covered with a lid. Keep warm in an oven at about 80℃.


No comments:

Post a Comment