Translate

Monday, August 3, 2015

Forbidden Rice Porridge with Mung Beans, Coconut Milk and Ginger


I have a small reserve of the somewhat expensive forbidden rice in my pantry. Because of its price, I don't often use it- but recently I remembered it and thought to myself that it would be awful if I let it go stale because of that very stinginess. I decided to try making it into a porridge of sorts, since that's one of my favourite things to do when I've got extra coconut milk lying about as I did. I also had a small pot of ginger puree and a bag of organic mung beans- I already knew that combining a grain, a pulse, sugar and coconut milk was typically delicious. Why not try these together?

Needless to say, it worked. I think that to save time, I'd try soaking the rice and mung beans overnight next time, so that breakfast doesn't take an hour to cook. Still, the rice was just soft enough with a bit of bite remaining, and went well with the earthy mung beans, creamy coconut milk and bright ginger. I also added some peanuts for texture and another flavour layer, but I've got a feeling that some other toppings would be good, too- namely sliced finger bananas or toasted dried coconut.

I didn't sweeten the porridge too much, since it was intended to be breakfast rather than a dessert. Overall, it's got a good bit of nutrition in with the superb taste. Forbidden rice is a whole grain, and it pairs with the mung beans for optimal digestion. The debate on the health benefits versus antagonisms of coconut milk rages eternally, but it does contain a good amount of nutrients and beneficial fats, and is generally considered a good thing to consume in moderation, especially in the place of dairy cream.

Next time I find black glutinous rice, I'll try it in a similar fashion to compare the textural outcomes. So many kinds of rice, so little time!



Forbidden Rice Porridge

1/2 C. Forbidden rice
2 1/2 C. Water
Pinch of salt
2-3 TBSP Sugar, or 8-9 pieces of rock sugar
1/3 C. Hulled mung beans
2/3 C. Coconut milk, plus extra to top
1 Tsp. Ginger, Grated, or a large toonie-sized slice
Crushed peanuts to top, optional

Rinse the rice and bring it to a boil with the water, along with the salt. Cook for 20 minutes, covered.

Rinse the mung beans and add. Cook for another 15-20 minutes, covered, or until both ingredients are tender.

Uncover and add the sugar and coconut milk, along with the ginger coin if using. Cook for 5-10 minutes, or until some of the moisture is evaporated and the porridge is thickened. 

Add grated ginger, if using. Take off the heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes.

Serve in small bowls topped with coconut milk and peanuts, if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment