Translate

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Classic Apple Pie




The expression "easy as pie" has been somewhat misleading to me. I've only tried making apple pie once before this one- it didn't go so well (the apples inside were partially raw, as was the bottom crust...) and I swore off of fruit pies for a long time, sticking to the banana and coconut cream pies that kind of became a signature of mine. Nonetheless, I wanted to go back and set right what had gone wrong in my more inexperienced baking days, and restore my honour as a baker.

So, I took precautions to ensure no more abysmal failures. I precooked the apples a tiny bit in the microwave, softening them and also causing them to release some of their juice, which I could mix with the thickening agent (cornstarch), sugar and spices to create a paste that's easier to coat the apples with. The precooked apples are also shrunk down, so you can pack up the pie more fully.


The finished product is just as I'd hoped- a flaky, buttery crust stuffed to the brim with slightly gooey, spiced appley goodness. A mixture of tart and sweet apples ensures the right mix of flavours in the pie, and the extra sugar sprinkled on top both adds visual appeal and texture. I like to use brown sugar as a sweetener versus white, because I feel like it's an important part of the classic "apple pie" flavour, but white will also work.


For my next pie, I think I'll try a different blend of apples, and of spices- I'm thinking that allspice would make a good addition to the mix. I'd also try making a larger quantity of dough so it's easier to work with, and therefore to create a decorative crust with, like the edges of the pie. In any case, I think I've successfully redeemed myself as a maker of pie, if the quick disappearance rate is anything to go by. I made some vanilla ice cream to go with it to complete the piexperience, but it's plenty good on it's own.

Classic Apple Pie
Adapted from The Candid Appetite

1 Pie crust dough of choice, enough for a double crust (such as the All-Star Pie Crust)

8 large baking apples, peeled and thinly sliced, preferably half tart and half sweet (e.g. Granny Smiths and Russets)
2/3 - 3/4 C. Light brown sugar, depending on sweetness of apples (or a mix of equal parts dark brown and white sugar)
1/4 C. Cornstarch
1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp. Nutmeg
1/4 Tsp. Ginger
1/4 Tsp. Cardamom
1/4 Tsp. Cloves (Note: 1 1/2 Tsp. of apple pie spice mix may be substituted for this mix.)
Pinch of salt
Zest of 1/2 a lemon
1 TBSP Lemon juice
2 TBSP butter

1 Egg white, to brush
Raw/Demerara sugar, to sprinkle

Preheat the oven to 180℃.

Roll out about 2/3rds of the pie crust dough and line a 9" pie pan. Set aside the remaining dough.

In a large heatproof bowl, microwave apples on low power for 15-20 minutes (mixing after 5 and 10 minutes), until apples are slightly tender. This will also shrink the apples down a bit so they pack together better in the pie. Stir well to help release the juices and strain off the liquid. Alternatively, use a large skillet over low heat, stirring constantly.

Combine cornstarch, sugar, spices and lemon zest. Add the liquid from the apples and lemon juice, and mix until smooth. Add the mixture back to the apples and stir to coat.

Fill the dough-lined pie pan with the apples. Cut the butter into small pieces and scatter over the top of the apples. Take the remaining dough and roll out until it forms a circle large enough to cover the top of the pie. Drape over the apples and trim the edges. Use a fork or knife to help press the dough from the sides and top together.

Brush the pie with the egg white and sprinkle on the Demerara sugar. Cut a few slits in the pie to help release steam during baking. 

Bake for about 45-55 minutes in the bottom half of the oven, covering with aluminium foil once the desired brownness of the crust is achieved.

Let cool about half an hour to help the pie set before serving. Best served warm with vanilla ice cream on the side!



No comments:

Post a Comment