Translate

Friday, April 8, 2016

Whole-ey Grains, Batman- Vanilla-Bean Honey Kamut Shortbread


This recipe was adapted from one of the prettiest cookbooks I own- an extensive compilation of delicious-looking breads and pastries made with unique flavour combinations, techniques and rarely appreciated grains. Though I didn't have the time yet to try any of the breads, I wanted to make something using the Kamut flour I recently bought- it's a high-protein, ancestral grain with an interesting taste that I've had in breads, but never sweets.



More on Kamut, a.k.a. Khorasan- nowadays it's sold under a trademarked brand, but it was first grown thousands of years ago in the region of the fertile crescent. It's a type of wheat, though the grains are much larger than regular wheat. It's known to be very nutritious and have a pleasant nutty flavour that works well in many kinds of recipe.

I didn't add any flavourings besides the honey and vanilla to focus more on the flavour of the Kamut, and I have to say, it's really good! They're softer and more fragile than other shortbreads I've had, but very tender as a consequence. I'm going to be working on a lot more grainy projects in the near future, as I go through my cabinets full of half-finished flours and experiment with novel uses for them. Stay tuned for more Kamut in the future- I've developed a thing for it with this recipe.



Vanilla-Bean Honey Kamut Shortbread
Adapted from Tartine Book No. 3 by Chad Robertson

1 Vanilla bean, split lengthwise
225 g. Very soft butter (1 C. + 2 TBSP)
60 g. Sugar, divided into 2 halves (1/2 C.)
55 g. Honey (1/4 C.)
80 g. Cornstarch (1/2 C. + 2 TBSP)
225 g. Kamut flour (1 3/4 C.)
1/2 Tsp. Salt

Sift together flour, salt and cornstarch and set aside.

Cream the butter, half the sugar, honey and all the vanilla bean. Let infuse for about 30 minutes, then remove the vanilla pod and add the flour mixture, blending until just combined.

Grease a small baking pan with butter and sprinkle with one tablespoon of the remaining sugar. Press the dough in and sprinkle the remaining sugar evenly on top. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Bake at 180℃ for 15-20 minutes. Cut into desired shapes with a sharp knife while still warm, and remove only when completely cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment